How do you listen to Bob Dylan? What do you listen for? Larry Starr is an emeritus professor of music history at the University of Washington, and the author of Listening to Bob Dylan. It’s a book that answers the question you might not have thought to ever ask.
The book talks about the ‘musicality’ of Dylan, and shares ways to understand the devices he uses in his work – melody, harmony, coloring, tone, repetition, silence, sequencing, and many others. In this conversation Larry talks about these items in terms of Time Out Of Mind. For listeners and fans who aren’t musicians, it offers new ways to understand and appreciate the work of Bob Dylan.
Mr. Starr also wrote a book on George Gershwin, and on American Popular Music from Minstrelsy to MP3 – and he’s a lifelong Bob Dylan fan.
There is an Extended Version of this episode, and a video available. Details below.
Listening To Bob Dylan (Book at Amazon)
- Subscribe to FM+ in the Apple Podcasts app (click the subscribe button on our show page) or at the FM Pods website. For $4.99/mo you’ll get Extended Editions and Bonus Episodes of all podcasts on the network for one low price. And you’ll be supporting our work and making all of these shows possible!
- Join The FM Club and get an FM+ Subscription plus way more Dylan and music info via our video interviews, blog posts, events and much more. Learn more and sign up here.
- This interview is available on video for The FM Club Premium Members at the Replays Page for members.
Dylan.FM is a podcast that good deep into specific Bob Dylan albums or periods – for months at a time. There are also some ‘special subject’ podcasts along the way. The show has featured Time Out Of Mind Engineers Mark Howard (1992 Mix) and Michael Brauer (2022 Mix), Authors Micheal Gray, Graley Herren, Howard Sounes and others, Musicians Robyn Hitchcock, Wesley Stace and others, and Dylanologists including Scott Warmuth, Laura Tenschert, and many more. Member of The FM Podcasts Network.
- Visit Dylan.FM to see all episodes or to follow the show in your favorite podcast app.
Get Our Weekly Bob Dylan Newsletter
Every week we collect and organize all the latest Bob Dylan News and Links, including new releases, reviews, concerts, podcasts, books, and share then in an organized list. Stay up-to-date on everything in the world of Bob Dylan.
FM Podcast Network
This podcast is a proud member of The FM Podcast Network, along with these other fine shows:
- PodDylan – celebrating the work of Bob Dylan one song at a time.
- The Dylantantes – interviews and discussions with Bob Dylan thinkers.
- The Bob Dylan Primer – a start to finish introduction to Dylan’s career.
- Get details and see the latest from all of our shows.
Questions or Comments?
- Drop us a note to [email protected].