Five respected music writers – each with recent reviews of Bob Dylan’s new book – joined us to share their thoughts and discuss the contents of this incredible work. Our panel includes Anne Margaret Daniel, Seth Rogovoy, Allison Rapp, David Yaffe, and David Hajdu (Bio’s below).
They share their favorite entries from the book, the songs they’re listening to differently now, their views on Dylan’s writing style , and the ever-present question of who helped or worked with Bob on the project came up more than once.
There is an Extended Version of this episode, and a video available. Details below.
This version includes the first 45 minutes of our roundtable discussion. If you’d like to hear the full 90 minute version or watch the video version – and get access to extended versions of all our podcasts plus videos – you’ll need to become a Premium Member here. Members get a private RSS feed to enjoy the full-length versions right in their favorite podcast app.
Order Dylan’s The Philosophy of Modern Song (Amazon)
Panelist Biographies and Links:
- Anne Margaret Daniel teaches at the New School University in New York City and at Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson. Her essays on literature, music (often Bob Dylan), books, and culture have appeared for the past twenty-five years in books, critical editions, magazines, and journals including The New York Times, Hot Press, The Spectator, and The Times Literary Supplement. Anne Margaret has degrees from Harvard (A.B.), Georgetown (M.A.), University of Virginia School of Law (J.D.) and Princeton (Ph.D). – Website: https://www.annemargaretdaniel.com/
- Seth Rogovoy is the author of Bob Dylan: Prophet Mystic Poet (Scribner, 2009), The Essential Klezmer (Algonquin, 2000), and the upcoming Within You WIthout You: Listening to George Harrison (Oxford Univ. Press, fall 2023). Seth is a contributing editor at The Forward and produces a Substack newsletter, Everything Is Broken. Seth lives in Hudson, N.Y. – Website – Review
- Allison Rapp is a music and culture journalist based in New York City. Her work has appeared in Brooklyn Magazine, Rock Cellar, City Limits, and more. She currently works as an assistant editor at Ultimate Classic Rock. – Website – Review
- David Yaffe is a professor of humanities at Syracuse, and the author of Fascinating Rhythm (Princeton), Bob Dylan: Like a Complete Unknown (Yale) and Reckless Daughter: A Portrait of Joni Mitchell (FSG), winner of the ASCAP Virgil Thomson/Deems Taylor award, a Washington Post Notable Book of the Year, and has been translated into five languages. He has been a frequent contributor for Air Mail since 2021, and has written for many other publications, including The New York Review of Books, New York Magazine, The Paris Review, The Nation, Slate, and The New York Times. He is at work on a book about Leonard Cohen. – Website – Review
- David Hajdu is the music critic for The Nation and a professor at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. Before joining The Nation in January 2015, he served for more than 10 years as the music critic for The New Republic. He is the author of 8 books including Positively 4th Street, The Lives and Times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan,Mimi Baez Farina and Richard Farina. David currently serves on the National Council on the Humanities. – Website – Review
- Subscribe to FM+ in the Apple Podcasts app (click the subscribe button on our show page) or at the FM Pods website. For $4.99/mo you’ll get Extended Editions and Bonus Episodes of all podcasts on the network for one low price. And you’ll be supporting our work and making all of these shows possible!
- Join The FM Club and get an FM+ Subscription plus way more Dylan and music info via our video interviews, blog posts, events and much more. Learn more and sign up here.
- This interview is available on video for The FM Club Premium Members at the Replays Page for members.
Dylan.FM is a podcast that good deep into specific Bob Dylan albums or periods – for months at a time. There are also some ‘special subject’ podcasts along the way. The show has featured Time Out Of Mind Engineers Mark Howard (1992 Mix) and Michael Brauer (2022 Mix), Authors Micheal Gray, Graley Herren, Howard Sounes and others, Musicians Robyn Hitchcock, Wesley Stace and others, and Dylanologists including Scott Warmuth, Laura Tenschert, and many more. Member of The FM Podcasts Network.
- Visit Dylan.FM to see all episodes or to follow the show in your favorite podcast app.
Get Our Weekly Bob Dylan Newsletter
Every week we collect and organize all the latest Bob Dylan News and Links, including new releases, reviews, concerts, podcasts, books, and share then in an organized list. Stay up-to-date on everything in the world of Bob Dylan.
FM Podcast Network
This podcast is a proud member of The FM Podcast Network, along with these other fine shows:
- PodDylan – celebrating the work of Bob Dylan one song at a time.
- The Dylantantes – interviews and discussions with Bob Dylan thinkers.
- The Bob Dylan Primer – a start to finish introduction to Dylan’s career.
- Get details and see the latest from all of our shows.
Questions or Comments?
Drop us a note to [email protected].