Ray Padgett is writing a new book that compiles 50+ interviews with musicians and others who’ve been involved with Bob Dylan’s live shows. It’s called Pledging My Time, and there is a pre-release Indiegogo campaign running that allows you to pre-order the book and take advantage of special bonus offers. The campaign runs through December 16, 2022 so we talked with Ray to learn more about the book, about the campaign, and to find out what he’s learned talking to all these Dylan insiders.
Who’s in the book?: Jim Keltner, Winton Watson, Benmont Tench, Larry Cambell, Stan Lynch, Early Sound Crew (David Robb, Keith Dircks, Fuzzy Frazer), Billy Cross, Richard Fernandez (Tour Manager), Christopher Parker, John Wurster, Ray Benson, Dickey Betts, Jeff Bridges, Harvey Brooks, Gary Burke, Marshall Crenshaw, Karl Denson, Leslie Dowdall, Ramblin’ Jack, Kinky Friedman, Freddy Koella, Barry Goldberg, Spooner Oldham, Michael ‘Soy Bomb’ Portnoy, Duke Robillard, Fred Tackett, Richard Thompson, Happy Traum, and more.
Ray talked with us in Episode 03 about the cover songs made from Time Out Of Mind. He runs the Cover.Me website which reviews and discusses all kinds of cover song performances, and he’s published two earlier books, one Cover Me that take a deep dive into twenty of the most iconic cover songs in history (including All Along The Watchtower and Make You Feel My Love), and a 33 1/3 book on Leonard Cohen’s tribute album called I’m Your Fan.
Ray also runs a must-have Dylan email newsletter called Flagging Down The Double E’s. The newsletter does deep dives into legendary Dylan live shows, and has published some of the musician interviews that will be included in Pledging My Time.
There is an Extended Version of this episode, and a video available. Details below.
- Pledging My Time Book IndieGoGo Campaign
- Follow Ray Padgett on Twitter, Instagram
- Flagging Down The Double E’s newsletter (Substack)
- Check out CoverMe Website
- Ray’s Cover Me book (Amazon)
- Ray’s 33 1/3rd Book: I’m Your Fan The Songs of Leonard Cohen
- Subscribe to FM+ in the Apple Podcasts app (click the subscribe button on our show page) or at the FM Pods website. For $4.99/mo you’ll get Extended Editions and Bonus Episodes of all podcasts on the network for one low price. And you’ll be supporting our work and making all of these shows possible!
- Join The FM Club and get an FM+ Subscription plus way more Dylan and music info via our video interviews, blog posts, events and much more. Learn more and sign up here.
- This interview is available on video for The FM Club Premium Members at the Replays Page for members.
Dylan.FM is a podcast that good deep into specific Bob Dylan albums or periods – for months at a time. There are also some ‘special subject’ podcasts along the way. The show has featured Time Out Of Mind Engineers Mark Howard (1992 Mix) and Michael Brauer (2022 Mix), Authors Micheal Gray, Graley Herren, Howard Sounes and others, Musicians Robyn Hitchcock, Wesley Stace and others, and Dylanologists including Scott Warmuth, Laura Tenschert, and many more. Member of The FM Podcasts Network.
- Visit Dylan.FM to see all episodes or to follow the show in your favorite podcast app.
Get Our Weekly Bob Dylan Newsletter
Every week we collect and organize all the latest Bob Dylan News and Links, including new releases, reviews, concerts, podcasts, books, and share then in an organized list. Stay up-to-date on everything in the world of Bob Dylan.
FM Podcast Network
This podcast is a proud member of The FM Podcast Network, along with these other fine shows:
- PodDylan – celebrating the work of Bob Dylan one song at a time.
- The Dylantantes – interviews and discussions with Bob Dylan thinkers.
- The Bob Dylan Primer – a start to finish introduction to Dylan’s career.
- Get details and see the latest from all of our shows.
Questions or Comments?
Drop us a note to [email protected].