Nobody Else Can Be Influenced By The Pre-War Blues like Bob Dylan – or so says author Michael Gray in Chapter 8 in Song & Dance Man Vol.1 (The 50th Anniversary Edition). In 112 pages in that book he explains Dylan’s relationship with the blues, which we discuss in this episode. Our Guest Reader for this episode is Scott Bunn of ReclinerNotes.com
** The Full Extended Version of this Episode is 45 Minutes long and available only to FM+ Subscribers. **
** Details on joining FM+ are below. **
Song & Dance Man: The Art of Bob Dylan was first released in 1972 in the UK, and 1973 in the US. It was updated twice before, in the early 80’s and late 90’s – eventually growing to over 900 pages. It’s been loved by Dylan Scholars and fans for all these decades – The Observer (London) Said: “A mammoth work of scholarship, often enthralling and never less than illuminating.” After over a decade out of print, is is being re-issued in three volumes for it’s 50th Anniversary – with the full text and extensive footnotes of the Third Edition reproduced in full.
ABOUT SCOTT BUNN (@reclinernotes on Social Media)
Scott Bunn is the publisher of ReclinerNotes, a website filled with essays and interviews on the music he loves. It includes a huge number of thoughtful analysis of Bob Dylan songs written in 2021 and 2022.
- Song & Dance Man: The Art of Bob Dylan Vol.1 (Amazon)
- Song & Dance Man – Book Website
- Pre-War Blues Dylan Influenced Playlist (AppleMusic)
- Pre-War Blues Dylan Influenced Playlist (Spotify – Pending)
- Michael Gray Website
- Scott Bunn’s Recliner Notes Website
We’re a proud member of The FM Podcast Network
To listen to the Extended and Bonus Episodes of our shows you can either:
- Subscribe to FM+ : Click the subscribe button in Apple Podcasts or sign up here. (One subscription covers all our network podcasts for one low price ! )
- Join FM Premium: Get an FM+ Subscription plus video interviews, blog posts, a weekly bonus email and more.
- This interview is available on video for FM Premium Members.
FREE WEEKLY BOB DYLAN NEWSLETTER
- Sign-up for Seven Days and get everything that happens in the world of Bob Dylan in your inbox every Sunday.
- The Dylan.FM Website
- PodDylan – celebrating the work of Bob Dylan one song at a time.
- The Dylantantes – interviews and discussions with Bob Dylan thinkers.
- The Bob Dylan Primer – a start to finish introduction to Dylan’s career.
- Search all of our Dylan podcasts by album, song, or topic.
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS?
Drop us a note at [email protected].